Learn from the experts with SCORE’s small business training workshops.
Why SCORE? Wichita SCORE volunteers work closely with the Small Business Administration to mentor small business owners at little to no cost. Our mentors are qualified, objective business-savvy members of the community, and volunteer more than 5,000 hours each year to help.
Through the Wichita SCORE chapter, our volunteers sponsor business workshops, speak with local groups about SCORE'S mission, and support local colleges, high schools, and city-wide job fairs. Take advantage of these free resources and learn how to build or better your business with an upcoming workshop!
Are You a Woman Entrepreneur? Be Sure to Check Out Our Biggest Event of the Year, Becoming a Fearless Female, on April 22. Register Now for Early Bird Perks!
Thurs, April 8, 5:30-7 PM | Simple Steps for Starting Your Business: Learning the Basics & Defining your Business - There are a number of factors to keep in mind before starting your own business. This module will help you feel confident in evaluating your ideas and deciding if business ownership is right for you.
Topics on key business considerations will include:
- Myths and realities of entrepreneurship
- Different business options to pursue
- The components of business ownership
- Legal and financial considerations
- Business plan basics
We'll discuss how to evaluate your business ideas to decide whether or not you should move forward with your business concept or go back to the drawing board. You will start your market research and analysis in prep for the next module.
Thu, Apr 15, 5:30 - 7:00 PM | Simple Steps for Starting Your Business: Marketing Research & Market Plan - In this third module of the Simple Steps for Starting Your Business program, you will learn how to market your startup business. You will complete a competitive comparison, create a product and services description, develop a pricing strategy, identify your target markets and channels, outline a marketing message, and learn sales basics
Sat, Apr 17, 9:15 - 11:00 AM | Social Media Marketing - Park City Library Presenter: Julie Riley, DepICT Media
Featured 2021 Conference, April 22, 1 - 5 PM | Women SCORE Higher: Becoming a Fearless Female Statewide Virtual Event
Could your business and mindset use a boost? The SBA and SCORE's Wichita & Topeka Chapters Present "Becoming a Fearless Female," a 1-day statewide boot camp featuring power-packed presentations from women leaders of all industries nationwide!
NY Times best-selling author, Dr. Lois Frankel, will discuss speaking up and standing out with confidence alongside 2 sessions with 13 workshops featuring fellow fearless females. Topics discussed will include:
- Strengthen your personal branding, negotiation, work/life integration, leadership, public speaking, and technical skills for leading a remote team.
- Social Media or Law Questions? Q&A panels will feature your chance to ask any and all questions you’ve ever needed answers to from social media experts and business attorneys.
- Show Me the Money! We’ll also discuss financial planning and financing a business.
- Food Finale. We’ll end the day with a fun cooking session with The Kitchen Owner & Guy’s Groceries Games Winner, Natasha Gandi-Rue!
Take Advantage of These Benefits and Register Soon Before Tickets are Gone!
- Early Bird Special - Register by April 7 with code EARLYBIRD and save $10. Pricing will go up to $47 person on April 8.
- Freebies! The first 100 registrations will receive a FREE book from The NY Times best-selling author and keynote speaker, Dr. Lois Frankel. (while supplies last)
- Become a Sponsor - Various levels of benefits include exposure for your business by an email audience of 14,000+ recipients, website, social media, and logo/branding added to conference materials. Please use code SPONSOR when registering. Pay online at the time of registration using the link below, or if you want to pay by check or require an invoice, please contact Ann firstname.lastname@example.org.
To register, visit womenscorehigher.com or for more info contact Ann at email@example.com.
Thu, Apr 22, 5:30 - 7:00 PM | Simple Steps #4 Financial Projections - Maize Rec Center
Sat, Apr 25, 1:00 - 2:30 PM | Marketing 101 - Wichita Library
Thu, Apr 29, 5:30 - 7:00 PM | Simple Steps #5 Funding Sources, SBA Access to Capital Maize Rec Center
SCORE frequently hosts programs at Wichita's Advanced Learning Library. You can register online with a library card at http://wichitalibrary.org/. If you don't have a library card, you can register by contacting John Cleary at 316-261-8507 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow us for updates on free workshops, information sessions and more: www.facebook.com/ScoreWichita
Thurs, Jan 7, 5:30 - 7:00 PM | Marketing Research for Patents, Trademarks Copyrights Presenter: Meghann Kuhlmann, WSU
Weds, Jan 13, 5:30 - 7:00 PM | Simple Steps to Start a Small Business - FREE Zoom meeting Thinking about starting your own business? The idea can be a little daunting, but SCORE is here to help simplify it for you in this free workshop!
There are a number of factors to keep in mind before starting your own business. We'll show you the first steps to starting it the right way. Topics included will discuss myths and realities of entrepreneurship, different business options to pursue, components of business ownership, legal and financial considerations, and the business plan basics.
If you’re thinking about starting your own business, this module will help you evaluate your ideas and decide if business ownership is right for you. Download the FREE "Simple Steps for Starting Your Business" workbook that accompanies the 5 modules as a free resource to you. Ready to get started? Sign up for Simple Steps to Start a Small Business here! Presenters: William Ellison, SCORE certified mentor and Ronald Lunsford, SCORE certified mentor.
Weds, Jan 27, 5:30 - 7:00 PM | Essentials of a Business Plan - FREE Zoom meeting Now that you know you're ready to start a business, how will you set yourself up for success? Take the next steps to make your dream a reality and join SCORE for this FREE business planning workshop!
A business plan is essential to the success of every company. We'll help you understand the purpose of and process for writing a business plan that will serve you well - now and in the future. Sign up for Essentials of a Business Plan here!
Presenter: Ronald Lunsford, SCORE certified mentor, Ronald.Lunsford@scorevolunteer.org
Weds, Feb 10, 5:30 - 6:30 PM | Marketing and Competitive Space - FREE Zoom meeting
Who is your ideal client and how your product/service can help them?
Many business people have an unnecessarily long sales cycle because they don’t properly
identify their ideal prospects and position themselves as problem solvers to their clients. In this workshop, we'll discuss how to best research your target market efficiently and how to strategically position your business as their solution. Signup for Marketing and Competitive Space here!
Presenter: William Ellison, SCORE certified mentor, William.Ellison@scorevolunteer.org
Tues, Feb 16, 5:30 - 7:30 PM | One-Page Business Plan - Derby Library If you're an entrepreneur or thinking of starting a business, you'll want to attend this workshop to learn what it takes to get started! Learn to create a 1-page business plan and what steps you can take to greatly increase your chance of success. In this workshop, you'll explore how to become an entrepreneur and test the feasibility of your idea to ensure it's the right one. Presenter: Ron Lunsford, Mentor
Sat, Feb 20, 9:15 - 11:00 AM | Web Page Development - Park City Library What is the goal of your website? What call to action are you giving your website visitors? First, you'll need to know what you want your web content to accomplish. Your landing page copy, for example, should give readers a reason to stay on your site, help them find information, and get them to take action to connect with you further. Linking to other content designed to educate, persuade, or entertain can provide more value to visitors. This workshop will discuss identifying your web page's message and call to action you want your visitors to take.
Weds, Feb 24, 5:30 - 6:30 PM | Business Structures & Tax Consideration - FREE Zoom meeting
What type of business do you have and how will you prepare it for tax purposes? This workshop will address what you need to know about the selection of a Business Entity for your company (such as Sole Proprietorship, Partnership, Limited Liability Corporation (LLC), or Corporation). Topics discussed will focus on Liability, Accounting, and Tax considerations. Sign up for Business Structures & Tax Consideration here!
Presenter: Bryan Elmore, CPA, SCORE certified mentor, Bryan.Elmore@scorevolunteer.org
Sat, Feb 27, 1:00 - 2:30 PM | Essentials of Business Plan - Wichita Library This workshop is important for those who are entrepreneur-minded and are focusing on starting a new business, expanding an existing business, or selling/buying a business. We'll work together to determine key issues. Other topics discussed will include:
- Developing a plan and goals for you to communicate to potential investors or bankers. We'll create a guide to success for your goals, which will outline your expectations of growth in your market and customer base.
- Discussing your team of advisors such as Lawyer, Accountant, and several other key contacts.
- Preparing for investor discussions. They'll need to hear your business, management, education, and abilities to run your business.
- Weathering business fluctuations. To be a business owner requires passion, long hours, and ups and downs as the business climate changes.
- Your business plan. We'll discuss 11 sections of a business plan in which a banker will want to understand more about your business objectives.
- Identifying key items such as product or service overview, competitors in your market, why customers should buy from you, and more.
Tue, Mar 9, 5:30 - 7:30 PM | Workshop on Human Resources from Syndeo Outsourcing Join Director of Sales, Mike Metz, for a webinar as he will discuss what employers should be watching out for and outline anticipated changes that the Joe Biden administration may bring for the HR requirements of small- and medium-sized businesses.
Mike will focus on the following main areas of interest:
- Affordable Care Act (ACA) reporting.
- Unemployment benefits.
- Paid leave requirements.
- Employer compliance with Occupational Health and Safety Administration standards and regulations.
This session is designed to be interactive, so please feel free to ask as many questions as needed! It will be recorded, and SCORE will send a copy to all who attend. These workshops are made possible with support from the Dane Hansen Foundation. Presenter: Mike Metz, Syndeo Outsourcing
Tue, Mar 16, 5:30 - 7:30 PM | Advanced Social Media - Social media for your business goes beyond making a Facebook post and hoping people will see it and buy your product. This workshop will give you a deeper understanding of creating effective social media strategies, and leave you with a step-by-step action plan for putting it into place to help you build an online community. You will have a deeper understanding of the top social media channels, the kinds of content to post, and how to put it all together. Presenter: Jessica Hutton
Sat, Mar 20, 9:15 - 11:00 AM | Essentials of a Business Plan - A well-written business plan is not only required by a banker to get a loan, but it's also a great tool for you to monitor how your business is progressing. Are hitting your goals or do you need to readjust to ensure you reach them? Every section of this plan helps establish a road map to success.
- Define your business. What are your expectations and long-term goals?
- Mentorship is key! We'll review how important it is to have a team of mentors to challenge your path to success and help hold you accountable.
- Overview of yourself. Are you are ready to run a business and how you are preparing yourself for the roadblocks and challenges?
- Investor overview. Remember that to achieve funding from an investor or a banker you must GRAB their attention! Create a well-defined strategic overview of your business objectives, marketing methods, and identify your customers and competition to present them. What equipment, location, and people do you need to best serve your clients? Presenter: Ron Lunsford
Weds, Mar 24, 5:30 PM | Advanced Social Media - Social media for your business goes beyond making a Facebook post and hoping people will see it and buy your product. This workshop will give you a deeper understanding of creating effective social media strategies, and leave you with a step-by-step action plan for putting it into place to help you build an online community. You will have a deeper understanding of the top social media channels, the kinds of content to post, and how to put it all together. Presenter: Julie Riley
Sat, Mar 27, 1:00 - 2:30 PM | Business Planning for Non-Profits - Wichita Library The world of non-profit business requires more strategy and planning than a for-profit business. Creating a roadmap now can drastically increase your chances of success later to reach your non-profit's mission and goals. Join us for this informative workshop! Presenter: Cindy Miles
Friday, April 2, 10-11 AM | Social Media for Business Workshop - Is your business taking full advantage of social media? Save time and money by learning the fundamental skills needed to increase your visibility and engagement on popular platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and more. Learn how to work smarter online, so you can free up more time to focus on moving your business forward!
Tues, Apr 6, 5:30 PM | Ready to Export? Tips for Success! - Learn best practices from 25+ years of helping companies export. When Karyn Page works with a client to guide them to export success, she begins with her state of mind -- she walks a mile in the client's shoes. In other words, what would she need if she were the customer? What questions and concerns would she have? What pressures does she have to succeed? What is keeping her up at night?
From best practices to her favorite exporter tools, Karyn will share what she's learned from 25+ years of helping companies export successfully. In this free session, we'll discuss:
- How to start
- Common terms
- Dos and Don'ts for Successful Exporting
About meat exporting - food exports are an area that I'm not an expert in. In fact, specific products exported to a specific country are not a great material for a presentation. I do use examples, but they don't provide enough detail to truly help an exporter. Those questions are best managed one on one. A good speaker or referral for meat (and agriculture) exports would be the Kansas Department of Agriculture. Presenter: Karyn Page